Dr. Schlaks has
- as a mediator with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, EEOC, HUD, working on housing and employment cases.
- Senior Mediator for the State of California, State Personnel Board handling all their Early Intervention Employment mediations.
- Mediator for the California Department of Insurance
- Mediator for the Department of Agriculture Forestry Department (California, Hawaii, and Guam)
- Mediator for the Superior Court of California, TSA, the U.S. Post Office
Dr. Schlaks has also served as lead mediator for small organizations, negotiating contracts with staff, resolving disputes between contract support organizations, and mediating workplace disputes for many corporate clients.
- Successfully mediated extended disputes between the U.S. Air Force and Native American tribes involving issues related to use of tribal burial grounds to build missile facilities.
- An expert in natural resources/oil and gas as well as environmental engineering issues for 25 years.
- Attended the world-renowned Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colorado, receiving a M.S in Geochemical Engineering and a Ph.D. in Mineral Economics/industrial Psychology.
- Worked for the United States Geological Survey’s Department of Uranium and Thorium, doing cutting edge research on mineral exploration.
- Served as a System Engineer with Martin Marietta Aerospace, working on their environmental impact statements and negotiating areas of impasse with the U.S. Air Force, EPA, engineers, scientists, and civilians who were impacted by the MX missile facilities at Vandenberg Air Force Base.
- Dr. Schlaks spent five years with the Law firm of Bartsch and Associates, conducting legal research for several law firms to support litigation focusing primarily on labor relations, real estate law, construction defect, mold, medical malpractice and personal injury.
- Used her engineering expertise and law degree to understand the mechanics involved in vehicle collisions and extensive medical background to interpret medical reports and evaluate the relative strengths of claims.
- Worked extensively in labor-management relations during 13 years with Schlaks Consulting where she negotiated contracts, resolved employee grievances, coordinated recruitment and development of diverse workforces in engineering, real estate development, environmental and movie industry disputes. She ensured compliance with civil rights laws and affirmative employment practices.